Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Debut

As a child, one of my favourite past-times was listening to my mother share stories of her childhood. They were tales of hardship, the poverty that they had to endure, but underlying it was the camaraderie and the unmistakable ties of kinship that bind them all.

I liken it to watching a TV drama but one whose characters I know well, but yet so unfamiliar in the new setting that she has placed them in. The purpose was to inspire and to let us know that blood will always be thicker than water. Looking back, it was also a reminder that my Mum was once a child, and understood what it was to be one.

I always attribute who I am today to my family, my relatives and ultimately, our grandparents Po Po (Grandma 婆婆) and Gong Gong (Grand-dad 公公) who taught me (and us) how to love unconditionally.

I have my stories and you have yours. It is time for us to share and let their memories live on. The lessons of love to continue motivating us, inspiring the younger generation and keeping us together as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment