Wednesday, February 10, 2010

两个人的路

I thought the best way to describe who our grandparents are, is this encounter I had with Po Po.

Her hair was white. I don't ever remember seeing her ever like that. Then again, it was the first death of the family. The first time I experience the pains associated with death. She was heartbroken, just like everyone, but not in the same way.

She started telling me stories of them, nothing significant, further proving that it is the little things that we will eventually remember, the memories that we will bring with us. She spoke of his love for her.

He may not have said "I love you" but the simple act of them living together and taking care of each other meant the world to her. She told me that Gong Gong would always make instant noodles in the middle of the day, when there would only be the two of them around. He would always share half his bowl with her ...

The other story she shared spanned further into their younger days when they had the nine children to look after. She said that times were tough, and she had to make paper roses to supplement the income. Gong gong would ride his bicycle with the paper roses to the markets and try to sell them. "On rainy days ...." she stopped and my mind raced to complete the sentence for her, "and the roses would be wet". She continued "and he would have to brave the rain. Ka sien (pity) gong gong."

My young mind was then thinking, "What about the roses?". She never mentioned a word. That was her love for him.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these poignant stories. I really enjoyed reading them. I didn't grow up living with Por Por and Gong Gong, but I always remembered the little things they did to make us feel loved and welcomed when we visited every Sunday. Gong gong would quietly be cutting fruits and finding snacks for us in the kitchen. Por Por would try to sneak us some extra pocket money without my mother finding out.
    The thing I remembered most about them is how giving and generous they always were to everyone, regardless of how little they themselves had.
    And I think they have passed those wonderful qualities down to our mothers/aunties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are mosrt welcome. Isn't it amazing that they did that for all of us.

    My mum would always "instruct" me at the beginning of each visit with "Don't take Po Po's money when she gives it to you". I try but Po Po would always frown and threaten with "You do not love me if you do not take it". So, I did.

    When my Mum asked us at the end, or rather look at me and asked me if Po Po gave me money, she would insist even if I said No. I wonder where she found all those money to give.

    Look out for more stories coming up soon. If you manage to get any stories off your Mum, or if she is happy to share here, it would be most invaluable.

    ReplyDelete