Monday, May 13, 2013

My Appreciation for my mother - Part 1

Mother's Day was coming up and I saw Valerie's beautiful tribute to Auntie Vera. I had always thought that everyday should be Mother's Day and not just special days to remind us to celebrate and appreciate the wonderful woman - our mothers in our lives.

Hence, I decided to start a 5 day countdown of posts on Facebook with a special photo album created called "Appreciation of my mother", and write tributes to her - my wonderful mother.

Post #1 (7th May 2013)

My Mum actually said she doesn't like this photo and thinks she looks ugly but look at what everyone said. It's so natural that we all feel that way.


This is probably my earliest photo with my mother. Today, I want to thank my Mum for enduring about 20 hours of pain and 9 months of discomfort and giving me life. 

I understand that it would have been difficult not having Dad around you during the final months of your pregnancy, and I hope that having me provided you some comfort that he is somehow closer than where he physically was.

I thank you for taking care of yourself and making sure I have the best start in life. I love you Mum. xxoo
 — with Lew Tor Liang.




Post # 2 (8th May 2013)



I want to thank my beautiful mother today for her wonderful relationship with her parents, my beloved grandparents.

I want to thank my Mum for trusting that my wonderful grandparents will take ultimate loving care of me while she is working and that they will always have her and my best interests at heart.





I want to thank my beautiful mother today for her wonderful relationship with her parents, my beloved grandparents.

I want to thank my Mum for trusting that my wonderful grandparents will take ultimate loving care of me while she is working and that they will always have her and my best interests at heart.


I could not have asked for a more loving upbringing where some of earliest memories include being exposed to kopi-O (black coffee with sugar), milo and delicious cakes and goodies at the age of 1.

I felt absolutely adored and I remember walking to the markets hand-in-hand with my grandma as a child and to-date, I can still recall the scent of the talcum powder that she wore because of the hugs and kisses she showered upon me.

I'd never had the chance to say thank you and I love you to my grandpa before he passed away but I'm forever grateful that I found the courage to tell my grandma that before she left and she was able to reciprocate how much she would miss me after Mum came and picked me up for the weekend and she would cry and sniff my clothes just to hold onto that feeling of having me nearby.

Two incredible human beings who survived/narrowly escaped from the horrors of the Japanese occupation of Singapore during World War II and brought up 9 beautiful loving children through poverty.

The lesson that they held close was "Always have pity for those poorer than us" and my grandma would give up money to feed her own family if she felt someone needed it more. I thank her for that lesson which I hold close to me every day and I commemorate her today too for being a wonderful mother to her children and those who naturally navigate themselves to her because of her loving motherly nature.

Oh how I miss them both so much still today and tears still fall when I write something this. Though they've not been around for more than 15 years, their love and their teachings of life are still etched deeply in my heart and shape who I am today.

I'm eternally grateful to have a chance to live and be loved by such incredible and loving human beings.

A couple of cousins and I started a blog to commemorate their contribution and their legacy to our family, so that our younger generation who'd never met them would have an opportunity to know how lucky we were.

http://leefamilymemoirs.blogspot.com/

Thank you Gong Gong and Po Po. I miss and love you both very much.
  • Mark Mcdean James, have you told your Mum how important family is face to face??? x
  • James Lew I hug my parents at the airport when I arrive and leave. I also try to hug my Mum every night when I'm home if she is still awake and say I love you in person. 

    This gives her a chance to say it back, including how much she misses me (instead of showing her love through more "traditional" means of nagging).


    May 8 at 7:13pm · Edited · Like · 3
  • James Lew My Mum is also not on FB but my Dad is and I have tagged him. One of the other reasons I share my experience on FB is in hope of inspiring others to do the same. 

    People say that you need to act as well as say and I agree but some of us live to hear our parents say "I'm really proud of you" and our dearest ones say "I love you". Words can mean something too.

    We always think there is time but there never is. Do it now! You will never find that right moment and it will go, and all you will be left with are regrets.


    May 8 at 7:17pm · Edited · Like · 2
  • Simon Yap So blessed...that you really warm up the FB in Autumn..nice.

    May 8 at 10:18pm via mobile · Unlike · 1

Post #3 (9th May 2013)



Today, I thank you, my Mum for saying "Yes" to Dad.

Mum, you didn't have any chances and choice in life to further your education because of life circumstances but together with Dad, you decided that this was not going to be the same for us.

Together you worked hard to ensure that we have these opportunities in our lives. Our lives were not filled with luxuries but with essentials - love and astrong ethical upbringing. For every luxury that we demanded and didn't get, we received a lesson and experience in life - to appreciate what we have.

Reading was encouraged which quickly developed into a quick passion and discipline was celebrated. We worked hard with school and at home with housework but we played hard when we had a chance.



Though you both played good cop bad cop sometimes, there was never any doubt how much you both loved us because you were openly affectionate, which is very uncommon in Asian parents.

Modern loving parents with traditional familial values, you've extended on our grandparents teachings and imparted lessons of love.

I'm grateful for my upbringing because I wouldn't be who I am today without both your love. I'm so fortunate to have you both as the most wonderful parents one can ever ask for. Thank you for everything. I love you both dearly.
 — with Lew Tor Liang.

No comments:

Post a Comment